Preventive maintenance of machines and its every part is essential to ensure good quality output. By keeping a check on the machine parts, one can easily know if there is any problem and can subsequently prevent it from occuring. This way, you can save the final output from getting damaged. You just need to replace or change the worn-out machine parts with the new one. Take care of gas pressure maintenance too. Parts like Hypertherm hpr260 parts and hypertherm hpr260 consumables can help you in that.
Checklist for Preventive Machine Maintenance
1. Clean the Torch Body
- Remove the torch parts to examine the inside part of the torch.
- Check if there is any sign of mechanical damage to threads.
- Clean the inside part of the torch with an electrical contact cleaner and a cotton swab.
- Disconnect the torch from the mounting tube and slide the tube back to see the torch-lead fittings.
- Check if there are any leakages or any damage to any of the connections.
- Blow out any accumulated metal dust inside the torch
2. Clean the Torch Leads
- Wipe down or blow off the full length of the torch leads for removing the accumulated metal dust and dirt. Metal dust causes dissipation of the high voltage required to start the plasma arc.
- Check for kinked or worn hoses, cracked fittings, exposed wires, or other damage.
- Check high-frequency shielding to form a proper connection to earth ground.
3. Clean Out the Power Supply
- Blow out all the accumulated metal dust using clean, dry air. Because metal dust can cause damage to power-supply components, especially to the PC boards. Even the contactors, relays, and spark-gap assemblies can malfunction due to excess buildup of metal dust.
- Check all the air filters on the power-supply housing and replace if necessary.
4. Check Torch-Cooling Components
- With water-cooled torches, you should check the coolant stream in the tank for signs of reduced flow or aspirated air. Ensure that the return flow is set at the specified gallons per minute. Check if the flow switches of the return line are functioning properly as insufficient coolant flow causes the torch to overheat.
- Check if the coolant filters and pump screens function properly. Also, clean or replace if necessary.
- Check coolant resistivity by a conductivity meter. Resistivity should not exceed more than ten micro-ohms for most of the systems.
- Flush and replenish coolant every six months.
5. Check Water Quality
- Secondary water quality is essential with water-injection torches. Water hardness should not exceed more than 8.5 ppm or 0.5 grains. Because hard water causes mineral deposits to build up on nozzles which leads to shortened life.
- Use a commercial water softener if required. Water quality in water tables is crucial. Because the water in the table is heavily contaminated with metal dust or slag, it can cause the hard-starting of the plasma torch. It may even cause rust accumulation on the cut pieces.
6. Check Plasma
- Gas quality is crucial and tricky to maintain good parts life and serve good cut quality. For this, hold a clean paper towel under the torch and start purging air through the system in the test mode to check air quality.
- Check for excess water, oil mist, or particulate contamination and clean if you find any.
- Check filters weekly and empty moisture traps whenever they start to accumulate water.
- Also, make sure the gas quantity is neither more nor less than required. For this, you can use consumables like Hypertherm hpr260 consumable to ensure the gas quantity.
7. Clean Machine Components- Rails, Racks, Gears
- Use an abrasive pad and a degreasing agent to remove grease, dirt, and metal dust.
- Lubricate gears with a dry lubricant like graphite powder. If bearings have grease fittings, lubricate them too.
- Do not lubricate any rail sections as lubricants will attract contaminants that lead to excessive wear.
- Level and align rails.
- Check joints where the rail sections meet with a piece of tool steel for checking if it is not misaligning. Rail alignment will prevent any drag on drive motors. Distances between the rails should be kept constant across the entire length of the system.
- Align and adjust gears and bearings.
- Avoid the gears overlapping above or below the rack.
- Adjust gear alignments to remove ply between racks and gears. Make these adjustments for cross drives and rail and both. Alignment bearings need to have minimal ply between them and rail surfaces. These bearings are mostly mounted in an eccentric shape.
- Adjust them until no light is seen between the bearing and rail surface. Remember to not over-tighten the bearings.
- With drive gears disengaged, you need to roll the beam across the rails to check for binding. Adjust it accordingly until the beam rolls with little resistance and minimal vibration.
8. Check Safety Limit
- Ensure operator safety with preventing damage to the machine. Check the machine to each limit even test the switches.
- Inspect mechanical stops to ensure that they are in proper working order.
You can keep this checklist with you as a detailed guide to check machines regularly. This guide is to ensure that you do not miss any of its parts. Hypertherm hpr260 parts, powermax65 parts, Hypertherm hpr260 consumables, plasma cutting consumables, plasma cutting torch, etc., are some of the parts you can consider while replacing or changing machine parts.